Monday, April 23, 2007

Critters and Blossoms



Well, today was gorgeous out on the trail. In the morning, at around 8:30 - 9;00, there were plenty of dogwood blossoms, like the ones here at the Beltway overpass.

About halfway between Gallows and Cedar, I saw a fox slipping off into the brush to the south. And then, between Cedar and Park, I spotted a young buck crossing the trail. We both eyed each other before going on our way. He went into the brush behind the houses there, to join another deer.



Then, on the ride home this evening, around dusk, I saw a couple standing at the south side of the trail, looking at the bank on the north side, just west of Gallows. Remembering idabike's earlier posts, I stopped and walked back to the spot... and there, on the opposite bank, were three young fox kits, eyeing the humans with curiosity and a measure of suspicion. The other folks and I wisely decided to leave them to their business, as it's best that wild critters not get too used to humans.

No pics of the kits... too dark, and I didn't want to use the flash.